Are you just starting out with iMovie and you want to add some slick transitions between your clips? If you feel like you could use some leveling up in your creativity, continue reading.
In this video, I’ll show you how to add transitions in iMovie, including one that’s a little more advanced that you won’t find anywhere else.
How to add transitions in iMovie
- Go to the menu bar on the upper left corner of your window and select Transitions.
- Choose the transition you like and drag it over to the vertical bar you can find between your clips.
- Review the clips you’ve applied the transitions to.
How to fix a jump cut (the 30% rule cut)
A jump cut is where part of the video is removed, but the background doesn’t change – only the speaker moves. It looks like the speaker jumps forward in time. These can be used to add a frenetic feel to your videos, but most editors try to avoid them.
- Click on a spot on your clip where you need to remove something.
- Right click on that spot and select Split Clip.
- Once the clip has been split, you can hover your mouse over the side of the clips. Click and drag to trim the clip further.
- Now choose one of the clips so it is highlighted in yellow and put the playhead over this clip.
- In the viewer, click the crop icon, then choose “crop to fill” and move the edges of the frame to zoom in.
- Click outside the viewer and play your video
Get ready to level up in your video editing game. Give this a try and let me know how it works for you!