With over 7 billion people walking this planet, you might think that all original ideas are already taken. But at least once a month I’m surprised by some new brand new idea (last week it was professional bridesmaids.) However, you don’t need to have an original idea to create content (blogs, YouTube, podcasts) on the Internet – you just need a new way to connect an audience to an existing idea.
If you’re just starting out, you may already have an topic that you want to talk about, a message you want to share, or a range of products that you want to promote.
But what if existing channels are already talking about the same things? Is it time to go back to the drawing board and find a new idea? How could you differentiate yourself from them?
Do you really have to come up with an original idea?
Turns out, you don’t have to. And in this video, I’m going to show you why using YouTube as a search engine.
Does it really have to be an original idea?
If you do a quick search on YouTube on any topic – say, ‘how to lose ten pounds’ – you’re going to find a lot of people talking about how they lost ten pounds and the different diets and workouts they followed to achieve that goal.
Obviously, the topic is not unique. But the number of views on each video tells us that there are people watching them – they have an audience.
Things to consider when creating content:
- What do you want to talk about? It doesn’t matter if it’s not an original idea – just put your own spin to it!
- What’s different about you? Are you funny? Serious? Spiritual? Quirky? Let your personality shine through your videos!
- Don’t copy someone else. Just do it your way, and you’ll attract your audience.
- You have an audience. There’s 7 billion people out there – you’re bound to connect with some of them. But you won’t find an audience if you don’t have a presence on the Internet – just start!
- YouTube TIP: Create personalized thumbnails. Your thumbnail is what people first see when they stumble upon your video in the search results or sidebar. Make sure it looks interesting, and projects the image that will attract your target audience.
So what are you waiting for? Go and start your own YouTube channel! And remember – just be yourself!